UDUMA, how it works?
- A Public Private Partnership is put in place with national and local authorities, granting UDUMA the right to operate public water services in selected areas.
- UDUMA secures funding from public and private sources to finance the upgrading of all water points, installation of the water meters and the cashless payment system.
- An inclusive local consultation process is started with the beneficiary communities to jointly identify their needs and to ensure full ownership of the new services.
- Local pump caretakers, mechanics and sales agents receive on-the-job training.
- UDUMA ensures a maximum downtime of 72 hours in case of breakdown of a pump or standpipe.
- UDUMA charges a user fee by volume for the water services provided, at a price affordable for all.
- Over the course of fifteen years, UDUMA ensures the upkeep, maintenance and replacement of the water equipment.